Friday, September 08, 2006

French driver's licence

I figured that today I'd tell you a bit about the french driver's licence. The exam lasts 35 minutes, and costs 60 euros (so it's a bad idea to mess up because then you have to pay for more lessons and for another exam).

There are two manoeuvres, one of them is necessarily in reverse.
There are also two questions, one about the ouside of the vehicle, and one about the inside. For example, I could be asked to check if there's enough oil in the motor, or if my break lights work. For the interior, it could be turning my lights on, or opening my window (that's the easiest question on the list!)

I also need to drive for 10 minutes in town, and the rest of the time out of town (either on the highway or a country road or both).

There are 3 possible grades: A, B, and C. C is if I make a terrible dangerous mistake, B is if I make a few tolerable mistakes and A is good. On the questions I can only get A or B.
Everything else is graded A, B or C. I get my driver's licence if I have at least one A and no C.

I'm going to pass it in the southern part of Rennes, which is somewhat a calmer area than the north, except for one particular street near Clemenceau, and the roundabout at La Poterie.
Apparantly in the south they are very picky about trajectories at turns.

1 comment:

Parlancheq said...

Wow, check the oil? Never heard of that being on a driving test. Aren't the guys at the gas station supposed to do that for you? ;)

On the other hand -- opening the window is pretty basic. Anyone who can't do it (assuming no sort of physical disability) should definitely not be granted a driver's license!