Wednesday, June 28, 2006

warning: extremely cynical post

My feet hurt. The map the OFUP provided to get to the location of the interview was extremely simple, and I was pretty happy about that. It was right next to the La Potrie metro station, according to the map. I got called this morning to confirm the interview, and I asked for confirmation that it was really at that stop. All seems good, and my high-heel shoes seem quite adapted to the situation.

Well, I was WRONG. The "metro" displayed on the map is actually the name of a store, located 15 minutes ON FOOT from the station. I finally found it, but now my feet are still killing me. They should have told me to take bus 17 from the centre of town, it's direct and so much easier.

Then the interview itself... Lasted 4 hours. There were 12 people who came, and only 3 were taken. For about an hour, he talked about the job itself (as if we didn't do the research ourselves before application!!). Then there was a break, and we did some "games".
The first game was we had to pretend we won the lottery with 2 friends, and we aren't allowed to split the chèque. So we need to propose a project that everyone needs to agree on and be the most convincing possible.
My project was actually the one that got the majority of votes. I wanted to open a japanese inn in France, because I'm sure people would enjoy that, as more and more people love Japan and japanese culture, but don't necessarily have the money to go all the way to Japan.
The second "game" was actually a debate for or against legal prostitution houses. And we couldn't choose which side of the debate to be on. Guess which side I had to debate for? Ironic, isn't it? I think that's one of the subjects on which I'm the most passionnate.
But I did find a good argument. If prostitution is going to be legal, might as well ensure the safety of the women, because if they're doing it off the street, it might be days before somebody finds their body chopped to pieces in a garbage can.
All the girls (10 out of 12 candidates) were sure I'd be taken because I did good on both, but apparantly they said I didn't talk enough. At least not SOON enough in the debate. But a debate is a debate, and they started it talking on a completely different angle. I couldn't just jump in and say something that had NOTHING to do with the previous argument!!
Ugh I'm soooooooooo annoyed.

And now I have backaches because I had to walk 30 minutes on heels with a heavy backpack containing a computer along with other objects.

And it lasted 4 hours. I wasted my afternoon. And I missed my train. By a few minutes (like 5 minutes). So now I have to wait for 8:00 to take the train.

This was NOT my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

be more choosy who to interview for. :) They did not deserve your time so maybe it's not a total waste of time if you learned not to trust people like that with your honest efforts.