Friday, June 30, 2006

The Terminal



I just watched that movie last night, for the first time, and I enjoyed it very much. Honestly, I was expecting a rather boring movie: waiting in an airport, how exciting can that be?
Actually the characters are endearing, you're interested from the start by the relationships he develops.
In a world where everyone is perpetually moving, and in a hurry, or temporarily waiting, he's just there, waiting, delayed for a very long time (months? years? I'm not quite sure). We don't know why he wants to go to New York, not until the end, anyway. When he finally gets to the end of his quest, fulfilling it, there's a feeling of satisfaction, accompanied by a tinge of sadness and bewilderment: what now?
And the people he's met along the way, and helped...
His relationship with Catherine Zeta-Jones in the movie is interesting, although sad. She's even more lost than he is, always waiting and wishing for a man who will never truely be hers.
His friendship with the waitor in love with a woman he sees every day to ask for the green stamp, with the mopping man ("wet floor"!) with the men he helps restore the airport, but also the "oh-too-true" scene where, in his first night there, he practically needs to destroy the seats to be able to sleep at all (I experienced somthing similar a couple years ago when one of our flights was delayed, or perhaps we just had a longer wait then usual, I can't remember... all I know is that I couldn't sleep!).
And the way he helped the man save his goat (father)...

No comments: