Friday, July 07, 2006

waiting is biblical!

Ok, I can hear your resounding "duh"s coming at me right now. But I'm talking about waiting in general. Which, by the way, is the main theme of my blog, although every now and then I'll drop in a Calvin and Hobbes quote or my sister will show a hamster...
Anyway, even if something is God's will, or, better yet, a promise, sometimes, often actually, we have to wait for it anyway even though every bone in our body is saying "I want it to happen now". I'm sure David wondered WHEN he would finally be made king instead of having to run for his life. I'm sure Abraham was fretting as he and his wife aged, still without a child, for years on end, although God had made a promise. I'm sure Joseph was wondering why God had put him in a prison cell for years despite his innocence and a vision of greatness.
Moses really had a heart for delivering his people, and was so passionnate about it that it led him to murder. But he had to wait years (40 if I'm correct) between the time of his exile and the time he led the people out of Egypt, and another 40 until the promised land, which he never did enter, BTW.
My reasoning has often been false: "if God truely wants this for me, I'll get it at the soonest, most logical-sounding time".
Sometimes our logical, good, plans, fall to pieces and we don't understand why.

I think God doesn't care so much about the end results as he does about the path we took to get there and what we've learned, how we've grown more like Him in the process.

I was convinced I needed to go to sciences po. I tried the entry exam and failed it. But I think that I learned a lot through that experience, and now I'm beginning to see the greater picture.
There are other episodes of my life I could cite, but they are either too personnal or too dull or too recent for me to yet tell you of the big picture.

No comments: