Sunday, July 23, 2006

i missed my bus...

Which means I had to wait 5 hours before the next train.
At first I wasn't too happy. But in the end it turned out all right. I figured that God must have had some purpose for that. Perhaps I would meet someone to talk to, someone who would be open to find out more about God. And indeed He did.
I spent about an hour in the new library in Rennes, it's beautiful and it totally motivated me for next year, I'll get a card there and read often. Much more than this year.
Then I spent some quiet hours just walking about in the warm evening in town, it's so peaceful.
Then I went to read at McDonald's and ate a menu. I had brought along Whence Came a Prince. Those books are really painful. I guess some people I won't name can't understand how I can identify with a character in a book, but I do. And I genuinely feel for Leana. I cried so hard in the second book when she had to bear seeing her sister marry her husband and become the "official" mother of her baby, Ian, and to top it off bear the shame of three Sundays on the repentance stool...
I'm so inspired by how she rests in God and how he helps her pull through. Although she lost all she had, He will never leave her and she clings to that promise. I've been there. Not in the same way, obviously. But I've been there.
Then I walked over to the train station, listening to Hillsong on my iPod. The Stand. I think that's my all-time favorite song by Hillsong. At some point I just kept singing it while waiting for my train, there was nobody standing there except for me so I could really sing out loud.
Sometimes I move so fast and do so much that I don't take time to really think and pray, and just digest all that's going on in my life and where I'm going.
And then on the train I met a man. My phone's battery was dead so I asked him if I could make a call. But his was also dead. By the time he told me so, I realized he didn't really speak much french. So I started talking to him in english, apparantly he's living here to see his daughter and is rather lonely because he doesn't know much french. So I invited him to the english church services, drew him a little map when he seemed interested. I think he will come. He's interested in spirituality, an odd mix of budhism and islam and a drop of christianity.
All this to say that sometimes it's worth the wait. I realize this is a fairly long post, but it's also a follow-up to a short thought on the 1st chapter of Acts. Do read it :)

No comments: