Saturday, July 08, 2006

vacation -gasp- without my ibook!

Yann says I'm crazy not to bring it. He may be right. I just don't think I'll really have time to use it and it is one more thing to carry around... Ugh perhaps I should. There might be hotspots. And I won't be able to upload my pictures from internet cafés without the specific camera software (internet cafés always have PCs!). Not that they'd allow me to. Even though I'd erase them from their hard drive immediately.
So I'm not taking it. Or am I? I need to think about it.

This also means for the next couple of weeks, I won't be posting as often, but I will go to internet cafés, mostly to catch up on my e-mails, but count on having a few posts on here, too.

I don't like internet cafés. I don't like having my time online limited. I don't like having to pay for it, either. I don't like not having all my software to use, all my files to consult, all my music to listen to as I surf, all my settings, such as my wallpaper, adium skin, or even my hard drive icon, or my dock. I guess I could always put my files on my .mac trial account before leaving, but it still isn't the same, you know? I don't like having to use a PC. I don't like thinking that my privacy isn't absolute. Not that I have any huge secrets or anything to hide, I just like privacy.
But I am crazy about hotspots. I wish there were more. I wish I knew if there were some where I was going. There doesn't seem to be any Subway restaurants in that city, so I guess not. :( And many hotspots here are stinker hotspots: you need to pay per hour. Expensive, too. Only Subway and the University offer a free wifi connection.

No comments: