Tuesday, July 04, 2006

purity rings

I stumbled accross this site as I was doing a google search to see if my blog showed up anywhere for "Waiting". lol


Abstinence-only accessorizing: purity rings for wholesome teens


I knew it was more and more popular in the States, but I had no clue how widespread it was.
I personnally have a bracelet which my uncle gave me, which symbolizes purity as a whole, that is drugs, alcool, language, personnal integrity (like not cheating on tests). I think it makes more sense, and it's a really pretty bracelet, too.

In a 2001 study published in the American Journal of Sociology, Peter Bearman, a professor of sociology at Columbia University, found that only 12 percent of the more than 2.5 million adolescents who had made a virginity pledge by 1995 remained abstinent until marriage. Abstinence pledges do delay sex for an average of 18 months, Bearman found, but those who break their pledges are a third less likely to use protection.


I thought these stats were interesting although saddening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wonder if making a "pledge" and renewing it every 18 months (or at a tighter interval- to be safe) would work better.

-Sandy