Friday, July 07, 2006

driving and faith

I've learned a lot about my faith, about trusting God, by learning how to drive.
Christians are in driving school. We have the steering wheel, and the pedals, and all the commands, and the instructer leaves us freedom to operate them. More and more so as we learn. We need not fear, we may make some damage to the car, but our lives are at no time in any danger because he is there and can take full commands if the situation requires it.
So we don't need to live in fear- and that's important, because fear of failure changes how we drive, as well as how we live. We will fix our eyes upon the obstactle, and instead of avoiding it, run right into it.
When we make mistakes, if we can't get over the guilty feelings, the rest of the driving lesson will be stressful and we won't really get anywhere.
The fear of failure is a lie we tell ourselves, the devil tells us. And it works. We fail. Again and again. Rémi told me of a student who was good. But he made a mistake on the day of his exam, and from then on lost all confidence in himself, and messed up not twice, not thrice, but 4 times before getting his licence on his 5th time. When he was good enough driver to have nearly succeeded on his first try!
The driving instructor is always there and won't let his student's down. God is the same.

Thank you Rémi, for teaching me that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome way to look at that! I have never heard of that analogy but that's WONDERFUL! Thank you so much for coming to visit me at my journal so that I could come read yours! I'm putting you on "alert" so I can read you everyday. Thank you so much.
God Bless you because you have blessed me,
Holly - TexasInHeart