Saturday, November 18, 2006

Old vs. new

Old friends, new friends...

I've made friends so fast I can hardly even believe it. And not just people to hang out with once or twice. FRIENDS. People I can confide in, people I'll go out of my way to see.
People I can talk to about my passion for Japan, or just hang out with, or talk about computers.
And then I have new friends I don't see that often.
And "old" friends I'm still in touch with (and am glad to be - they are people I can hardly imagine my life without)
And yet I still have my old friends, my true and tried relationships, the people I long to see. I can forget temporarily. But I miss them so much deep down. I still see them sometimes. I can hardly imagine my life without them. To be honest, I can name them: Oli and Joe.

This morning my brother and sister were watching the Swan Princess. Reminded me of when I was a kid and me and my best friend Cyril would watch that movie every single day after school.
He liked the sword fights, I liked the romance.

I miss Susanna. I miss Becky. I miss Cyril. Chelsea. Isaac. Peter. People from my past who I was very close to. Childhood friends. But it's not really painful. Just a fleeting thought here and there.

And then there are people I *should* miss -- but I don't really. I'm not even sure I really want to see them. Friends I'd be embarrassed to see again because I let them down. (sorry Kara)
Other people who I missed so hard, and so long, that the pain just ate me alive and I had to forget them. Now I've almost forgotten them.

No comments: