Thursday, December 21, 2006

website building

I just bought the book Réussir son site web avec XHTML et CSS, and I'm pretty excited about starting to read it.

It's a book for beginners, and it's very well written. I'm not exactly a beginner when it comes to HTML, but I learned everything I know as I went, and I wanted a reference book to brush up on some details I didn't necessarily catch in the tutorials (especially in CSS and for forms).
I figure if it will help me have more standards-conformed code, and a better methodology to write it, I'm all for it!
After awhile, a patchwork of tutorials from more-or-less reliable ressources can get confusing, and with CSS it's easy to get mixed up.
Obviously there's documentation, and I consult it fairly often, but it is nice to have a reference book.
Plus I have a friend who wants to build a website and doesn't know where to start, he can borrow it eventually. :D
(and that friend doesn't know that bmp files are not good for the internet. his current webpage loads only in Internet Explorer and it takes a very long time to do so because the files are so huge-- especially on a 56k modem, which some people still have)
I'm not saying my websites are perfect- on the contrary.
But I want to make them better. For now I'm not personalising my blog because I'm too busy learning PHP. Eventually I might "move". I'm not sure yet.
Then again this blog is finally getting somewhere (I have a google pagerank of 3, and I appear in the top ten results for "Waiting, Wishing", which is amazing considering that it's the title of a song by Jack Johnson.

No comments: